Flux Studios hosts artists from the US and abroad for residencies as part of our International Artist-in-Residency Program.
Our artist-in-residence program is a vital part of the studio, allowing for the exciting exchange of new ideas and working methods while offering visiting artists the time, space and resources to explore new avenues within their work.
About the Residency
Emerging and mid-career artists working in the following disciplines are invited to apply: architecture, film/video arts, interdisciplinary arts, literature, music composition, theatre and visual arts.
Artists will be accepted on the basis of artistic excellence, an established ability to work in a group environment and the merits of their residency proposal.
Accepted artists are encouraged to consider the vast surrounding desert as their primary studio and inspiration. They will also share studio space with Novie Trump at Flux Studios, a 1500 square foot space located in the high desert mountain town of Jerome, AZ. This recently renovated and fully equipped space boasts 15-foot ceilings, beautiful natural light, and ample workspace.
The studio is equipped with the following:
• L&L T3247 rectangular kiln with inner dimensions of 45”W x 28”D x 25” H
• Skutt Glazemaster Test Kiln
• Small glass kiln
• Shimpo Slabroller
• Glaze booth with compressor
• Wheel Grinder
• Edge grinder for glass
• HP Laserjet 1022 Printer for making laserjet fireable decals for glass and ceramic
• Fully stocked glaze kitchen
• Encaustic and hot wax working equipment
• Painting Easels
• Drafting table
• Light table, 44” x 34”
Length of artist residencies may range from two weeks to three months.
Artist Residencies at Flux are $250 per week. This fee covers usage of the studio and all equipment. The Cynthia Hyder Fellowship is available to artists in financial need in order to assist them with full or partial costs associated with the residency and lodging.
A beautiful guest casita located a ten minute drive away from the studio is available to rent per week. Peace Garden Casita is a Santa Fe Modern guest house nestled on a bluff overlooking the Verde River and thousands of acres of national parklands. The sunny and art-filled studio features a full kitchen, a private bathroom with a Japanese soaking tub, gas fireplace, polished concrete floors, large windows, a California King bed and a twin daybed. The casita is private and free standing, with its own entrance and parking.
Jerome Art Center (Formerly Old Jerome High School)
879 Hampshire Avenue/ SR89A
Building B, Studio 104
Jerome, AZ 86331
Located on the historic Arizona 89A highway, Jerome is a two hour drive from Phoenix and a thirty minute drive from Sedona.
The Flux Artist Residency Program has been hosting visiting artists from the US and abroad since 2007, both in Washington DC and in Jerome, AZ. In that time, Flux has hosted artists working in multi-disciplinary mediums as varied as urban street murals, film and photography, textiles, letterpress, papermaking, performance, ceramics and sculpture. Notable past residents include: Wendy Lawrence, Elizabeth Kendall, Jackie Riccio, Gretchen Schermerhorn and Leon Ofsky.
Pictured in header (L-R) Elizabeth Kendall, Meinir Wyn Jones, Wendy Lawrence.
The Cynthia Hyder Fellowship
The Cynthia Hyder Fellowship was established in 2017 in honor of Cynthia Seymour Hyder, an award-winning NC painter and the mother of artist Novie Trump. The Cynthia Hyder Fellowship is available to artists in financial need in order to assist them with full or partial costs associated with the residency.
To apply for the AIR program please email email@example.com
Applicants must include the following:
1. Artist Bio
2. Artist CV
3. Artist Statement
4. Website Portfolio or 5 Digital images of Current Work with an image list. Each image should be labeled with a number and the last name and first name of the artist (1_Smith_Jane) and the image list should list the number of the image along with the title, size, and medium of each work. Video and digital files may also be submitted using the same format.
5. One Page Proposal of Project/Work to be focused upon during the residency, along with a list of equipment, workspace needs and preferred length of Residency .
6. Two letters of recommendation from persons working in your field.
7. Please advise if you would like to apply for The Cynthia Hyder Fellowship, and why.
Apply + Inquire
If you would like more information or to apply for the AIR program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or use the form.
Official applications will only be accepted by email.